Thursday, January 6

353/365


353/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

Today is my dad's birthday! Happy birthday, Daddy!

Lauren and I made him dinner while mom cleaned up after us. That's the best way to cook.

But before I get to the meal, let me share my favorite part about birthday posts: pictures from the past!

Starting with:

DSCF3448
My parents back before the kids came along. Short shorts, pastel colors, and a ton of love.

DSCF3449
And love formed me. This is my dad and me and my aunt Christine at the Ft. Worth water gardens.

DSCF3451
Dad moved from pastels to neons. I don't know whatever happened to this hot pink hat. I think he'd still be able to pull it off pretty well.

DSCF3450
My dad rarely keeps his face hair-free. Normally it's his head.

DSCF3452
And then Rachel was born! I'm guessing this was Easter. I think mom made those dresses for us. And my aunt Mary Alice made that banner! One of the greatest traditions we have.

PS - Looks like dad went back to pastels.

DSCF3453
This was at our old house on our old deck before they built a mall there. The Statons came to visit! My dad wore awesome shorts for the occasion.

DSCF3454
There was a period of time there when I couldn't remember what my dad was like when we were really young. Now that there are babies in our family again it's been so fun to watch him interact with them. I imagine people told him that he was a great dad all the time because he is really, really great with little kids.

DSCF3455
Here he is on another birthday! My grandparents are cute. If you can tell from the cake, my dad has enjoyed hunting for a long time.

And this one is a bit more recent:
DSCF3456
Hard to imagine the pastel/neon guy taking on this look. But he pulls it off! Just like everything else! There was a time when I used to sing country music at a few different places and my dad, being the ever-supportive father that he is, totally embraced it. A lot of people said he looked like Garth Brooks. Maybe it's the lightening shirt?

Okay, back to present day.

DSCF3457
We made him venison burgers with blue cheese, Swiss cheese, caramelized onions and bacon pieces on ciabatta from Panera bread.

Go ahead, check out the recipe from a place called Father's Office in Santa Monica.

DSCF3460
It's yummy.

DSCF3461
And for dessert, Lauren made warm banana pudding. If you make my dad cold banana pudding, he'll put it in the microwave.

This stuff knocked me out. I could not believe how awesome it was.

DSCF3462
Orange isn't my favorite color but, like I said, ever-supportive. I know that he has a Belmont t-shirt somewhere, but Lauren is OSU football CRAZY and I know her heart flutters when my dad wears orange.

DSCF3463
Rachel is missing. She had to work but she really didn't want to work.

So, my dad. Fiercely devoted. To his job, to his family, to his passions. I think it's probably the best way to describe him. Whatever he's working on, he's doing the best that he knows how. He taught me that - to do a job right the first time. Which is why I put all of my best efforts into that burger.

I love you, daddy! You sure are the best.

3 comments:

Christine said...

(late) Happy Birthday Doug! Sure am glad you've given up the pastels. But need to know the story on the pink hat someday...

Anonymous said...

OMG, there is no way i wore those clothes and hats. I can't thank you enough for all your kind words. I do have a Belmont shirt by the way.I think I could have been a cowboy. The picture of the guy holding you and Lauren in front of the tree has the goofiest look on his face ever. The burger was one of the best i've ever had and the banana pudding was to die for!!! So, thanks for the memories and for putting my birthday in your wonderful blog. I love love love you, Dad

Anonymous said...

Brittany, that wasn't Easter in that picture up there and I didn't make those dresses, but you did get the banner right. It was a few weeks after Easter and we were on our way to church. Thanks for the heartwarming post that brought back sweet memories of you beautiful girls and your handsome daddy.
Mom

Post a Comment