Wednesday, January 12

359/365


359/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

Hi!

I'm sorry. I'm posting about food again. But I woke up this morning and, fueled by yesterday's crisis, I knew that I needed to have an amazing breakfast.

So I decided to combine all of my favorite things and put them into one recipe, onto one plate. Guys, I rocked this. And I mean it this time!

I give you...

DSCF3498
Health Freak Pumpkin Pancakes with Homemade Hot Blackberry Thick Syrup/Thin Jam (what would you call that?) and Non-Fat Cool Whip from the Grocery Store.

Catchy, I think.

I combined some of my favorite recipes - one for whole wheat pancakes and one for pumpkin - changed a few things, added a few things, and came up with a masterpiece.

The blackberries are easy. You can make this with any kind of berry, and I do. Just boil 1/3 of the amount of berries you want to use with a little bit of water, cornstarch to desired thickness, and sugar to desired sweetness. Take it off the heat and add the rest of the berries. I use this as an alternative for syrup, to put in oatmeal, so spread on toast, as a pie filling...anything and everything.

I topped it with cream because if Alice's Tea Cup in NYC taught me anything it's that berries and cream NEED to be served with tea and scones. Or pancakes and coffee.

Guess what else I made today?

DSCF3504
Those are homemade graham crackers, recipe courtesy of Smitten Kitchen.

Add this:
DSCF3509

And this:
DSCF3511

And this:
(Marshmallows not pictured)

And you have a gourmet s'more:
DSCF3515
If a gourmet s'more is possible.

S'mores always make me think of The Sandlot.

FOR-EV-ER.

Here's my made-up-but-perfect recipe for those pancakes:

HEALTH FREAK PUMPKIN PANCAKES

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
2 TB ground flax seed
3 TB brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 TB cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp all spice

2 eggs
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 cup pumpkin

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet. Mix that all up and say BAM! Or something.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. I used cooking spray. You could use oil or butter but that then these won't be that HEALTH FREAK-y.

Measure out pancakes by 1/4 cup sizes. Let them cook until they bubble, then flip once.

You can add a few chocolate chips (I did that) or nuts if you're into that kind of stuff.

For me, this made 16 pancakes. That's 90 calories each, if you're interested. I froze them for future best-ever-breakfasts.

Mmmk...will try not to post about food tomorrow. Six. more. days. Please don't give up on me now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment