Tuesday, November 16

301/365


301/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

I like knitting again. I learned in college and I taught a lot of girls in college. We were sort of crazy at first, knitting ugly scarves for Christmas presents and naming our balls of yarn "Nathan". One day, I finally learned to pearl which has, up until now, been enough for me.

But I figure it's time to step it up so I don't get bored. I started looking for knitting patterns and found this one that is rated "Easy +" (mmmk) on the Lion Brand website. Which features a TON of free patterns, by the way.

I did pretty great at first. And then you can see where I stopped paying so much attention to the knitting and more attention to whatever else was in front of me. This isn't the sort of thing you can just do while you zone out in front of the TV or get lost in some wild day-dream. That's why I like knitting - you can do something productive while your totally relaxing. It makes relaxing more appealing to me.

But in order to make something really cool, you have to pay attention to what stitch you're on, and then you have to remember how to do it. Normally I'm a perfectionist about this kind of stuff, but it drives me a little crazy when beginners start all over when it comes to knitting. The only way to learn is to push through, see your mistakes, and know the difference between the right and wrong stitches.

I figure this time around every mistake will just remind me of a funny joke, or a wondering thought, or a suspenseful moment.

Right?

Or...maybe I'll just look at it and see the entire thing only for it's mistakes. And it will drive me crazy and I'll constantly and absentmindedly mess with the wrong stitches.

I just wrote an entire post on the intricacies of my knitting practices. Wow. I'm sorry.

Here's something different! During my time at the RU4 Children offices I've started gathering my thoughts and writing about my trip. I'm getting to share my stories with a lot of people who might be thinking about travelling themselves. If you'd like to read my first short, entertaining, really awesome post (!!) then by all means, CLICK HERE! And check out all the cool stuff RU4 is doing for orphans around the world while you're at it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment