Thursday, February 4

18/365


18/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

When I was a kid I got a Kermit the Frog toy piano for Christmas. It was small - probably the length of my forearm. It's one of the only Christmas presents I remember from my first childhood (I am currently living my second). It had one of those buttons that played pre-recorded music. I vividly remember sitting at the kitchen table, pressing the button without knowing it while I banged on the tiny keys, and BELIEVING that I was making that music.

I guess I thought I was a genius, but really I was just stupid.

Anyway, once I realized that I was not making that music with my brain and my fingers, I decided that I wanted to be able to. And really, I'm not quite sure I could do that even now, but whatever. That's beside the point.

Fast forward a few years. I was between the ages of young and 8. It was my birthday and I had a big box. Inside that big box was a full-sized keyboard. I cried.

Fast forward some more years to Christmas and I get a guitar tuner in my stocking. My parents didn't think it would give away the fact that the gift in that huge bag next to the tree was a guitar.

And finally, another Christmas. Christmas Eve, maybe. I took a shower. I put on a green sweatshirt and bright pink shorts. I blow dried my hair. And my parents told me to come into the living room. And there was...my uncle Robert! I love my uncle Robert for many reasons. This time I loved him because he helped wheel my very large Christmas gift into it's rightful spot in our living room.

Oh, how I love this piano. I dream about it when I'm far away from it. And even though I don't know if we have ever tuned it, that's okay. I'm sure we will one day. It has caused me much frustration because I can never quite figure it out, but it's also been a great source of joy. And it's helped me to know myself better.

I'm looking forward to next Christmas...really, deep in my heart, I always wanted to be a chick drummer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's been tuned once. For some reason, I remember this guy coming in and lifting up the top and tuning it. All the noises sounded the same to me so I didn't understand why it needed to be tuned. Maybe that's because all I got for Christmases was clothes and office supplies..

Anonymous said...

Lauren is right. It has been tuned that one
time. Lauren, I remember one time when you got some shoes you really wanted for Christmas!
jw

Tricia Gilchrist said...

I love this picture! I have never seen one like it. And I really like the story too!

Post a Comment