Wednesday, February 24

38/365


38/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

I like this. I think it's cool and beach-y. I made the whole thing for $2, which I spent on twine and white spray paint.

But everyone else in the house?

"Cool...what is it?"

"Is that a paper bag?"

"Cool."

"Who is that? Jesse or Joel?"
My dad really said that. Jesse and Joel are my tall, full grown male cousins. He didn't have his glasses on.

But I really like this thing I put on my wall. Then again...I also painted my entire room spearmint gum green with navy trim in high school and I liked that, too.


Let's take a closer look.



DSCF4484
Isn't it beautiful? This is a card that my Brooklyn forever and ever roommate, Kate, gave me. She is very classy and she is crazy about art. And horses. And kids and dancing and music. And books. The world around her just moves her. She is constantly inspired by it.



DSCF4485
Sarah Kim gave me this card. She has a thing for Monet. Like that girl in 10 Things I Hate About you who was "involved" with Will Shakespeare? I imagine Sarah has moments like that with Monet.



DSCF4487
This is the inside of that card. This represents one of my most favorite New York moments: Dinner with Sarah Kim at Serendipity and she hands me this card and says "I'm going to read it to you right now out loud," and she did. And it was AMAZING and I loved that moment. Sarah Kim...I don't want to talk about it. Come to Texas.


DSCF4494

And this.

Her.

My aunt, Monica, sent me this card when I was a freshman in college. It struck me. I wanted, and still do, to be her. Look at her!


I have made up many stories for her. I won't share them all, but she just looks so happy and so completely at peace. And...okay a little bit Jane Austen-ish. I can't help it. I project Jane Austen on to everything.



DSCF4492
For some reason, I only have this side of the card. But it's a great side. All five kids (not so much anymore) signed it in their own interesting way. Monica, this card made my day back then and it still makes me so happy every time I see it.

If I ever find myself in a field, with a flower, and a house in the background, and I'm incandescently happy (movie? er...book?), don't be surprised if I re-create this moment.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I do need to come home. I would have told you how much I loved it! And then we could have laughed at how I thought the picture of the girl was Snow White. Which isn't as bad as Jesse or Joel.

Anonymous said...

I like it. Really. I thought it was a picture from oneprettything.com. Proud that it is your idea.

I remember that card. I think you saved the more important half.

Aunt Monica

Anonymous said...

Brit,

I think the girl in the card is YOU!
Rita

Alison said...

Perfect description of Kate!

Post a Comment