Tuesday, August 10

201/365


201/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

On the way back from safari we had a lot of fun throwing out candy to the Masai kids who were on the streets herding cows and goats.

We started running out of water so my uncle Chris started chunking water bottles out the window. At one point we threw them to a few boys and the older one was hoarding them from the little one. So I asked the driver how to say "share" in Swahili and he told me: "maji"

So I started pointing at the kid out the window and yelling, "MAJI!! MAJI!!" And the kid looked at me funny...but eventually handed it over.

So I was telling the story to someone yesterday and they said, "What did you yell? Maji?" and...yeah. Turns out maji means water. So I was screaming "WATER!!" at the kids. Everyone got a good laugh out of that. And next time...I'll make sure of what I'm saying before I yell random Swahili at children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment