Tuesday, August 24

218/365


218/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

Before we came to Africa, Amy and I said we should either go to Mombasa or to London at some point if we had enough money. Last year I wanted to come to Mombasa so bad! We were so close to this beautiful place and I didn't even know it.

So when Pastor Chola told us, "I'm doing a wedding in Mombasa and you're coming with me for a week and we got you a free hotel and breakfast!" Well. I couldn't believe it! I know it was God's hand.

This day has been surreal. We had breakfast and then I was desperate to go for a walk on the beach. So Amy and I took off, only to be harassed by a beach boy who got angry with me for not shaking his hand. We turned around as he circled us and yelled things about it being his beach and we should just go sleep in our nice hotel beds. It was a little sad and disheartening but oh well. We carry on.

After the Cholas finished their breakfast we all walked out to the beach together. The tide doesn't come in until afternoon so we walked pretty far out to where the boats were all resting in the sand. And this camel was there taking a bath! Amy and I might ride one later.

We came back and I sat on the balcony to catch up on this blog here while I listened to the kids swim. I had another PBJ and an apple with crackers. That's such good stuff.

After lunch we were supposed to drive to another beach but plans changed and we ended up staying here. I'm so happy we did! Amy and I went out with Duncan and Shiro and swam in the ocean. So far they've only been in the pools. We went so crazy! We just let the waves push us and pull us wherever they wanted. I could not believe how warm the water was. The kids had a blast and people stopped to watch us and just laughed. I still feel strange wearing a swimsuit here, even on the beach. People swim in one pieces with bike shorts underneath. And they are quiet. It's kinda strange.

We dove directly into the pool after being on the beach. I'm still a little freaked out by how much sand was still in my suit when I finally came back for a loooong shower.

At about 8:30 Roy and his girlfriend, Steph, picked us up for dinner. They cooked spaghetti noodles with meat and a carrot and zucchini salad (I think?) and had ice cream and cake for dessert. We had a great time talking and laughing. Lots of laughing. We got dropped off a little after midnight and now here I am. Totally up to date with my blog.

It's a long day tomorrow. Off to another beach for a full day. This one is supposed to be top notch. Ahhh....this is my life! I know life has ups and downs but I'm totally siked to be on an up right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience! I love the camel on the beach. And you are doing a great job with this blog. Love it!
Mom

Anonymous said...

I have this picture on my desktop. I can't stop looking at it.
Mom

Post a Comment