Monday, August 30

224/365


224/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

For our first day back in Nairobi Amy and I did something I’ve never done before: took public transportation in Africa. We caught a bus with the seasoned Brickmans downstairs and two Americans (Rick and Joe) visiting from our church in the states. We rode into downtown to take advantage of some cheap shopping for souvenirs and for lunch. I haven’t spent much money since I’ve been here but I picked up a few things today. The bus wasn’t bad at all. Just a little smelly and cramped - not unlike my daily commute in NYC.

On the way back I picked up some coffee at Java House and Sarah showed us an outdoor market near our apartment where we can get fruit, vegetables, clothes, books, toys, etc. I’m more in it for the food. I snapped a quick photo up there with my iPhone. The market is made of sticks and plastic but it’s laid out pretty nicely. And it’s cheap. I picked up a ton of dry black beans, 2 zucchinis, garlic, onion, apples, bananas, and carrots for about $4. Later, we called the Brickmans’ “egg man” (they have the neatest connections) and we got about 3 dozen eggs for $3.

This afternoon we had a meeting to plan our next two months. I am excited and nervous to say that we are going to be rather busy. We plan on teaching at an orphanage and at a school in the slums for 2 days each, spending half a day at New Life Home, which is an orphanage for HIV positive babies, and half a day at Joy Divine, a home for former street boys. On a normal week we’ll be working every day but Sunday. And of course we’ll go to church Sunday afternoon. Faustin said he wanted us to be crawling to the plane by the end of this trip. I think he’ll get his wish.

1 comments:

rachwhite said...

Well I hope in all that you will be able to update cause I wanna know what's up. In other news, first day of class today, it was amazing to say the least. You're gonna be asking who I am when you get back ha. I love you!

Post a Comment