Saturday, August 28

222/365


222/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

Today was the day of the wedding for which we are in Mombasa in the first place. Granted, I didn't know the bride or the groom or the majority of the people there and we were assumed to be crashing when they wouldn't let us in right away. But still, it's the reason we're here.

I wish I could explain to you all of the differences in the Kenyan ceremony. It was long, first of all. Longer than any Catholic ceremony (which I enjoy, just sayin'!). Probably because the Bridal party walked in to a total of four songs - some of them on repeat. And when I say walk, I mean danced. Slowly. People were cheering and jumping out of their seats at random moments, even to capture pictures with their phones. Up close and personal pictures. But it was a joy-filled occasion and the bride and groom looked so happy.

The most upsetting difference to me involved the cake. Actually, the only upsetting difference. Can you imagine? Me being upset about cake? Well. It's because those 4 tiers up there go one each to the wedding couple, the bride's parents, the groom's parents, and the best couple. The little baggies go to the guests. I just really wanted to stuff my face with wedding cake.

You can see that Amy and I are already back in our hotel by the time wedding cake (which turned out to be fruit cake) was served. We enjoyed most of the reception from the comfort of our perfect-for-people-watching balcony.

Tomorrow we head back to Nairobi and get ready for September. It should be a much more different story next month as we get ready to do what we feel we were called her to do. A calling that will probably continue to unveil itself.

Please pray for our journey back. It will be a long and cramped one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment