Wednesday, March 10

52/365


52/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

Scary, isn't it?

Today I did something really weird but really fun. I demonstrated to two of my mother's classes how to make marshmallows. Why? Because I'm an expert. I made them once and watched Alton Brown make them once. So I'm by and large the best one for the job.

DSCF4850
I told mom that I wanted to be introduced as BDubb but I don't think she was listening.

DSCF4851
Look at this fancy mirror! I bet Rachel Ray didn't have this when she started out.

DSCF4852
This picture scares me. What kind of people are going to sit and watch me try to avoid awkward silences? High school people, that's what kind. Scary high school people. I don't know how my mom does it.

I tried to avoid the line, "When I was in high school..." but it found its way out once or twice. Oh well.

DSCF4853
Here's the set up. I didn't want to mess up or forget anything.

How embarrassing would that be?

Most of you know that I am very meticulous when I cook. I read and re-read the directions.

But did you know that when you're talking the entire time and trying to be engaging and witty and soooo cooooool that maybe you might forget to add some ingredients?

Okay, one ingredient.

But sometimes one ingredient doesn't really make a difference in taste.

Unless your making marshmallows and that ingredient is sugar.

52/365
Yep. All these kids watched me forget to put in the sugar and not realize it until they left.

DSCF4857
And all THESE kids watched me forget to put in the salt and not realize it until they left.

It was stressful!!

DSCF4858
But it was really fun. This kind fella helped me pass out samples of plain marshmallows and chocolate dipped marshmallows. Then he helped me wash all the dishes! I asked him if he'd be my husband. Then I freaked out and got all flustered and said I mean be my ASSISTANT but it was too late.

I'm engaged.

He wants to be a chef and go to the Culinary Institute in New York. So to all you New Yorkers...guess I'm comin' back!

But only on one condition.

Me in the Kitchen
You forgive me for never ever taking off this brilliant footwear. My boots and I, we just cannot part.

DSCF4859
Here is the finished product. Part II. Part I went straight into the trash. Sugarless marshmallows are NOT the diet food of the future. Part II is much more fun anyway, because some of mother's smart kiddo's asked if we could put food coloring in them. They wanted to make them red and cut them into hearts like the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland. I said, "Awesome! Let's do that!" and then I made them a green square. SIKES! I like to build them up only to tear them down.

So, all in all it was a good day. And my mom is amazing. And I'm going to stick to cooking in my own kitchen without the watchful eyes of sugar-craving teenagers.

6 comments:

sarah kim said...

OMGOSH CUTEST TEAACHER EVVVAAAAA

Anonymous said...

You did an amazing job and those kids thoroughly enjoyed it! Thank you so much.
Mom

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite posts. I bet this was really funny to watch for Mom. Also, did you really forget the sugar? I almost don't believe you. And, are you too good for the white mixers that you had to bring in Mom's red mixer?

Brittany White said...

Totally forgot the sugar...I wish it were a lie.

Bid Me Wings said...

Brittany you look so happy to be back in TX! I'm going to have to give these marshmallows a try...they look amazing! ps. you've got me hooked on pioneer woman.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad, Brittany, about forgetting ingredients. I had one group today that put in 1/4 cup of salt instead of 1/4 tsp. We'll see if they eat them tomorrow!

Post a Comment