Tuesday, September 7

232/365


231/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

Today we visited the Joy Springs school in the Kibera slum. Amy and I are going to teach art to the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grade classes. We spent today learning about the school and going through a sort of orientation. I feel like in the last few days I have really tuned in to a purpose and a direction for my time here. I know nothing about teaching but I already love these kids. That's got to be fuel for something.

We caught the bus back after spending a few hours at the school. Amy and I walked to the gym where we proceeded to get pounded once again. I was sort of thankful that our regular trainer was nowhere insight so I decided to leave all my energy on the treadmill. Six miles later (take that, Nike plus app!), I happily turned the corner, ready to leave, and there was Jack. Already torturing Amy.

I'm serious about torture. The sounds that came out of my mouth should never have to be heard by anyone.

Anyway, immediately after we got home I sent out an e-mail. Many of you must have received it. If not, here's the part where I ask for money:

The school in Kibera is called Joy Springs. It's a tiny place with 450 students. Most of the classes have up to 50 students. They teach from pre-school up to 7th grade. By January they will add an 8th grade class, so long as they receive the $3,000 to build it. You are more than welcome to give $3,000 to Joy Springs (and by all means, go for it!), but what we have an immediate need for is our classroom.

Amy especially had felt like we should teach art as this school because the arts are rarely, if ever, taught here. We found out today that a lady from the States had spent two years teaching art on Tuesdays and Thursdays and she just left in June. That sort of floored us! Just as she is leaving, we've arrived. And with the same schedule. She taught only one class but Amy and I will be able to teach the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th years. The 4th and 5th graders were absolutely ECSTATIC when they found out today because art was not open to them previously.

You can probably guess, but they have little supplies. Some crayons, pencils, craft sticks, and a few paintbrushes. When we came in with the team in August we travelled with a good amount of supplies so we have something to start, but we will definitely run out. We are anticipating working with 200 individual students per week. We don't need much and will work with little, but there is one initial thing we'd like to do.

On Thursday we'll have our first classes. We would love for each of the kids to have their own folder to keep their art work in during our two months there. We went to the store today and found that each folder will cost 25 shillings. For 200 students, that translates to $75.

Aside from the $75, we would use any extra for paper, paint, etc. I can 100% promise you that anything Amy and I receive for Joy Springs will go directly to the school. And we will spend wisely. If they lack food, we can spare some colored pencils so they can have lunch.

I took some pictures of the school today. Please have a look and read the descriptions for more information!

So if you'd like to put a smile on a kid's face please give through PayPal. If you've never used PayPal before I can assure it is safe and fast. Feel free to put "Joy Springs" in the memo. If you'd like your money to go towards a specific purchase, please put that as well. We'd love to have $75 by tomorrow so that we can start making the folders to be ready for Thursday! All you have to know to give is my e-mail address: brittanyrosewhite@gmail.com

Some of you have already given and I can't tell you how excited I am for the kids and for you. I know you don't give selfishly, but you will be blessed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment