Wednesday, September 1

226/365


226/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

This morning we left around 8:30 to visit a home for blind children in a city called Kitui. It was supposed to be a 2 hour drive, but Nairobi traffic is like nothing you've ever seen. It took 3 and a half hours to get there. Even longer to get back.

We arrived and were given a tour of the boy and girl dorms, the dining hall and the pre-school classrooms. School is still out until next week, so the 120 kids that live there were on holiday, leaving only 13 behind. We knew this going in but decided to still go to pass out some shoes we have left over.

It was really cool to see the kids. They showed us their library and read for us. They also "wrote" for us with their braille machine. It's amazing how fast they can read!

They also sang some songs for us. One girl, Mercy, sang a song that she had composed herself. I felt a special connection with her (she's the one in the green smock). I took more video today than I did photos. Their songs and prayers were really amazing.

We enjoyed passing out the shoes but we have run out of bigger guy shoes. I hated walking out of there with some of the boys still in their sandals. We did leave quite a few behind for the younger children when they return.

I wish we'd have been prepped before hand because we found out last night that their greatest need right now is food. When we arrived, we heard that one of the employees had to borrow money to feed the kids that day. I wish I could have petitioned my e-mail list for small donations so we could have brought them rice and beans, at least. It sort of kills me that they don't have todays basic necessities. We were told that of the 120, only 35 are sponsored. I'm not sure how that works. All I know is, they need money. Of course they need money. They believe the white people have money. Ahhhh...so difficult. But the kids were certainly not lacking in joy. The trust that the Lord will provide for them.

I'll be sure to send out an email if we decide to go back. I bet my email list could feed all of the kids for a week. Just an idea.

1 comments:

rachwhite said...

Beautiful!!!!

Post a Comment