Tuesday, April 20

93/365


93/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

My dad came home with a gift for me today.

DSCF6415
My grandparents are sweet.

This book is a collection of all the Presidents' favorite meals all the way up until...Richard Nixon.

In addition to the recipes, there is quite a bit of history in this book.

For example, did you know that the very first cook book published in America was printed in Williamsburg, VA in 1742 and was called, "The Compleat HOUSEWIFE: or, accomplish'd Gentlewoman's Companion: being a Collection of upwards of several Hundred of the most approved Receipts"?

Or how about this interesting little excerpt:

"Gelatin was made from calves' feet, or from a product called isinglass, taken from the swim bladders of fishes. These products were tasty enough in meat dishes or in court bouillon, but in the elaborate molded desserts they gave a meaty or fishy flavor to the pudding."

YA THINK?! ICK ICK GROOOOOSSS NASTY.

DSCF6416
Here's a page of recipes from George Washington's time in office.

Can you believe it?

DSCF6418
Food photography ain't what it used to be. Who doesn't want to dig into that fillet o' fish?! I tell you who wouldn't turn it down: John Adams.

DSCF6419
Savory jelly? Really, Andrew Jackson?

DSCF6420
Okay, here's a President I can relate to. William McKinley knows breakfast is where its at. Breakfast with PIE, no less.

So here's what I'm thinking...I pick a President (and his wife) and just go for it. I mean, there is some WEIRD stuff in here, but I'm intrigued. Lincoln's election cake - what's that like? And how much tastier would it look with my modern camera?

I'm going to have to decide how I'm going to decide. I might let you guys decide. It'll be a food challenge to follow the cookies. That means I might need some more tasters!

Only, can't promise you'll like it this time. But if Andrew Jackson liked pease pudding and savory meat jelly, maybe you will, too.

Okay, probably not.

I don't know where you'd get fish bladder these days, anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have to go with Pres. Washington first, cause he was. I'll be a test dummy if you'll serve pie for breakfast.

Tricia Gilchrist said...

I bet your dad could cut the bladder out of a fish for you. That should be your mission: find fish bladder. I'm interested to see how it would taste/the texture of it/if you'd throw up or not.

Anonymous said...

Tricia, don't give Doug ideas.

Sounds like an interesting food challenge, you should do it, Brittany.
mom

Post a Comment