Wednesday, April 28

Africa: the facts

When I started this blog, I just had a feeling this would be an exciting year for me. Mostly because I knew it would bring a lot of change. I could view this time as a constant state of flux, but instead I know that it is a strategic time. It is a time of rest, not in a way that keeps me from being proactive, but rather to prepare me for whatever is next. When things change, life become exciting for better or worse, and I started this blog counting on the better.

After seeking loads of advice and spending a lot of time in prayer, I have decided return to Kenya. It finally boiled down to an opportunity that presented itself in a perfect time in my life. I wavered quite a bit on what to do, but I am now 100% confident in my decision to go.

Many of you may know, I have been to Nairobi twice now. The first time I went with my family for two weeks. The second time I went with my church for two weeks and stayed another two weeks after they left. This time, I'll be staying for three months. My mother is making me sign a contract that I'll return. I think she's joking...but I'm not sure.

DSCF1944
Child at Massai village enjoying his "sweet". June 2007.

We leave in August with the church to help lead a teen camp for over 700 teens in East Africa. We will also be working with a few orphanages in the area prior to holding the camp.

After two weeks, the church group heads back to Texas, and I stay behind with two of my very close friends, Sheblye Kunerth and Amy Geron. We will be living in Nairobi as ambassadors for the youth of the country. We'll visit churches and implore them to find value in their youth and hopefully give them the resources to sow into the young people. We'll also be working closely with orphanages, we'll help lead a conference for 300 Massai pastors, and we'll find out what we're made of, quite honestly.

DSCF1996
Sweet baby at New Life Home - orphanage for HIV positive babies. August 2009.

We return in November. When we return, please don't try to feed me rice for at least a month.

I hope to be offering updates regularly on my progress to Nairobi. I've added a thermometer on the right hand side of this site so you can see where I'm at. If you'd like to help me get where I'm going, you can donate directly HERE.

1. Click on "Go to online giving"
2. Click on "Give now"
3. In the comments section, type: "Missions - Kenya - Brittany White"

All donations are tax deductible. I need nearly $6,000 to get there and survive. It's a daunting number but I looked at it, I got intimidated by it, and then I got over it.

If you'd rather give to me directly, I promise I won't spend it on coffee. Contact me at brittanyrosewhite@gmail.com and I'll tell you how to do so.

If you'd rather get something for what you give (who wouldn't?!), watch this space. I am in the process of sewing up some one-of-a-kind retro aprons. I'll be selling them in efforts to raise money and you're definitely going to want one.

Thanks, guys. I really love you all. Can't wait to share this journey with you.

Links:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have three concerns:

You have to go to a OSU football game to fulfill your 101 list. You'll be gone during all of football season.

Can you still blog everyday in Kenya? If you don't blog everyday might freak out.

Can I come?

Tricia Gilchrist said...

I'm just excited! Mostly to get an apron.

Just kidding! I'm so glad you're going, again!

Bid Me Wings said...

This is incredible!!

So so excited for you.

Post a Comment