Monday, April 26

99/365


99/365, originally uploaded by britrosewhite.

I learned something about stamina and pushing yourself today.

I learned that no matter how tired, hot, and spent you may feel, you can always go farther. Even when you know you KNOW you can't go any farther, you can. And what else, you can probably sprint it.

I learned that today, but I also learned something else...chicks be CRAZY.

I decided to go for a 5 mile run this morning. I averaged a 9 minute mile pace which, for a girl who couldn't beat a 10 minute mile when she was 13 (and barely run the entire thing), I was feeling pretty awesome.

The loop that we run in our neighborhood has been featuring some interesting animals, lately. Normally it's just different kinds of birds, but my parents spotted a coyote and we saw a beaver the other day! Kinda crazy.

Today I noticed these little goose babies. They must have just been born because we haven't seen them before. They are so cute and furry and cute! Every time I ran around them the momma goose squawked at me a bit. Overly protective, I get it.

Well, I decided the last time around that I really wanted a picture. I was just walkin' my run off, feeling good but certainly happy with my walking pace.

So I pulled my phone out of my arm band and took a picture:

IMG_0852

I wasn't really satisfied. You can't zoom on the iPhone (right?), so I stepped a little closer.

IMG_0853

Cute, right?

Momma started squawking. But she squawked before and that didn't phase me much.

So I got closer.

99/365

And that's when she started rufflin' her feathers. Then she squawked louder and then she charged.

I mean, charged. Flapped her wings, opened her beak, and ran full speed right at me.

And that's when I learned my lesson about endurance.

I turned around and sprinted the opposite direction which led me right to....the water's edge! I was trapped! I turned around and she was still after me! DANG CRAZY CHICK!

So I put my arms over my head and ran against the water, hoping she'd let me go. I ran. Fast. For awhile. And I did not feel tired at all. I just ran five miles under the hot Texas sun? What? I felt like a spring chicken!

I think I found my new training regimen. And the good thing is, when the goose ceases to be scary, there's always gnarly dogs and wild hogs! Also, sex offenders and fires. There are lots of scary things to run from!

On the other hand, there are lots of good things to run towards. Maybe if somebody just held a piece of blackberry cobbler a few feet in front of my face the entire run it'd produce the same effect.

And then I'll make millions off my new book, The Blackberry Cobbler Diet.

You heard it here first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment